Sandvik is a high-tech global engineering group with sales in more than 160 countries, offering products and services that enhance customer productivity, profitability and sustainability.
Starting in January 2021 operations are organized into four business areas and are conducted via 23 product areas with full profit responsibility. The product areas have their own areas of focus to secure leading global positions and be number one or two in their respective industries. Sandvik delivers solutions mainly to the mining, engineering, automotive, energy, construction and aerospace customer segments. The Sandvik Manufacturing and Machining Solutions business area specializes in manufacturing advanced metal cutting tools and tooling systems. It is currently expanding in digital solutions that optimize customers’ productivity and in additive manufacturing. Sandvik Mining and Rock Solutions supplies equipment, tools, service and technical solutions to the mining and construction industries. Application areas include rock drilling and rock cutting. Sandvik Rock Procession Solutions is a market leader in rock crushing and screening for the mining and construction industries, and Sandvik Materials Technology manufactures advanced stainless steels, special alloys and other high-performance materials.
Sandvik has a long history of successful, value-based sales with focus on customers’ processes and efficiency improvement opportunities. The company’s strengths include technology leadership, unique expertise in materials technology and industrial processes, close customer cooperation and a high capacity for innovation.
Active ownership in practice
In its capacity as a long-term active owner, Industrivärden engages itself in the portfolio companies’ strategic development. Against the backdrop of the Company’s business model, this concerns mainly matters pertaining to the portfolio companies’ boards and management teams, financial development and matters such as strategy, market position, efficiency, capital structure and more. Following are a few examples of important corporate governance matters and significant strategic activities for long-term value creation that the respective portfolio companies have taken in recent years, where Industrivärden has played an active role through work on the board and nomination committees.
- Election of Johan Molin as Chairman in 2015
- Appointments of Björn Rosengren as CEO in 2015 and Stefan Widing as CEO in 2019
- Numerous new directors elected to board
- Consolidation of company structure and implementation of decentralized governance model
- Developed strategy and refinement of operations
- Adoption of new financial targets
- Implementation of new sustainability targets with focus on circularity, climate, safety and fair play
- Initiation of internal separation of Sandvik Materials Technology for stock market listing in 2022, subject to shareholder approval and provided that the circumstances are considered to be right at the time
- Establishment of new business area, Sandvik Rock Processing Solutions, with a view for further accelerate profitable growth in rock crushing and screening
- Formation of new business segment, Sandvik Manufacturing Solutions, for stronger focus on growth opportunities in metal cutting and related areas
- Capitalization of growth opportunities in core businesses, including through a number of value-creating acquisitions
- Stronger financial position and improved profitability
- Focused operation with strengthened positions
- Significantly strengthened capacity to meet market fluctuations compared with historically